Friday, March 19, 2021

Meeting and Greeting For Real

 

Legendary actor, director and writer Woody Allen once proclaimed that “90 percent of success is just showing up.”

And truth be told, I’ve never found anything that would contradict that.

I doubt that any of you would question that “just showing up” over the past year has been, to oversimplify, a slight challenge. For many in the profession as well as in the broader spectrum of the country’s workforce, showing up at work over the past year basically meant preparing a cup of coffee, settling down in a makeshift home office. Not to mention downloading Zoom or Microsoft Teams apps to replace traditional in person meetings.

And forget about those post tax season conferences.

The majority were canceled faster than flights at O’Hare during a blizzard, or a number were forced to switch to an all-virtual format. Sadly, I knew too many people in the conference-organizing end of a business who were unemployed by October.

I have rarely been a “glass half full” person but, I’m optimistic about “showing up” in 2021.

Perhaps it’s the flurry of emails I’ve been receiving about registering for upcoming live events – emphasis on “live” as opposed to the virtual conference formats that abounded since last March. Sorry, but there is no substitute for a basic handshake and face to face sit down or group interaction.

On a personal level, I have not visited one client in any of my assigned territories since the onset of the pandemic. And anyone who works in a “people-centric” business as we do, where “showing up” is critical, will tell you that is not conducive to production – on any level. And in full disclosure, I wince at my unflattering image on a Zoom call.

But there are definite signs of an uptick.

Our neighboring state to the east – Connecticut - is dropping its facial mask mandate next week and I’ve noticed many of the local restaurants and businesses are picking up in terms of customer counts.

And the AICPA has moved the annual Engage conference from its traditional early June date to the end of July as to help ensure a live audience. Although in an unrelated sidebar I honestly thought Las Vegas was hot enough in June, I cannot imagine what the mercury will hit 9 weeks deeper into summer.

No doubt there will be other conferences striving to convene live. I certainly hope so.

I’m rapidly tiring of those stale elbow bumps in lieu of a handshake.


No comments:

Post a Comment