Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Time to Say Goodbye

 

Last week in this space, I regaled you with sample vignettes of some of the lousy jobs I have held during my career. And conversely, there have been positions that have been nothing short of terrific with occasional fringe benefits exceeding anything I could have imagined.

Regardless of job satisfaction, I fielded an odd question during a recent CPE session from an attendee who stated that they were unhappy in their current capacity at a mid-sized CPA firm and wanted to leave but did not want to torch any of those proverbial “bridges.”

In full disclosure, our company specializes in succession – not recruiting. We have occasionally placed folks at accounting firms, but human resources is a niche we frequently outsource to those far more experienced in that arena.

But speaking from experience, I said that if nothing else, go to your direct report and tell them outright that you have accepted another opportunity. Thank them for the chance given you and then always follow that with a formal letter of resignation. It’s often an uncomfortable sit down, but it is something that must be done. I’ve been on both sides of that equation a number of times and the last thing you want to hear from an employee is an unexpected, “Hey have you got a minute?”

In my last position, I knew it was time to move on, when on the eve of a major tropical storm with predicted wind speeds of 80-plus miles an hour, widespread power outages and no less than six inches of rain, my supervisor emailed me, not to wish me good luck and safety but wanting to ensure we could get the daily newswire out the next day. I kid you not.

Two days later, after power was restored and my property cleared of fallen branches and assorted storm debris, I deposited a brief but official letter of resignation squarely on his desk. And the fact that he was surprised validated my decision all the more.

But back to the CPE attendee.

I also advised them to help assist in that all important transition until the final exit date. Much like the merger of CPA firms, where client retention and employee transition are critical to future success, the same holds true for replacing a key staffer.

And lastly, promise to keep in touch. You may or may not remain pen pals, but it’s a nice gesture while exiting stage left and embarking on a new and hopefully exciting venture.

Hmm. Maybe I should give recruiting a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment