Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Don’t Get “Stuck” by This New Fraud Scam!

 

I honestly thought things would be different in 2021. A bit naïve perhaps, but nonetheless I remained optimistic that some issues would simply disappear faster than New York Jets’ coach Adam Gase after the season finale.

No such luck.

Take consumer fraud scams for instance.

Over the past several years, I have been contacted by charlatans claiming to be from, in order: The Internal Revenue Service, the Social Security Administration, a national credit card fraud clearinghouse and my banking institutions.

They have threatened me with jail if I didn’t pay what I owe in back taxes (the IRS calls), claimed my personal information has been compromised (the SSA and my local bank) or that someone has been using my charge cards for outlandish purchases.

Most of them urged me to simply re-enter my personal information or in the case of the phony IRS, just submit a credit card number and all my outstanding tax liens would be forgiven and thereby avoid a lengthy prison sentence.

But this week may have been the topper.

With the COVID-19 vaccine finally a reality, a call came the other day offering – drum roll please – an early coronavirus vaccine if I just supplied a credit card, a Social Security number or access to my checking account.

And just like that I could “jump the line” ahead of all those at-risk seniors and others needing it far more than I and literally and get stuck. And “stuck” is the operative word.

Sadly, I was not the only one given the opportunity to jump on this once in a lifetime offer. Apparently, it was widespread to the degree that the New York Attorney General was forced to issue a warning about such calls.  It’s bad enough when you read about those who fall victim to these types of scams (mostly elderly) but somehow this struck me as being far worse than just being fleeced out of money.

The Federal Trade Commission said that fraud has spiked noticeably since the pandemic as more people are purchasing items online and therefore easier to fall victim to sophisticated technology techniques to elicit personal information.

According to the FTC, scams via social media have jumped. In 2019, the FTC received complaints of consumers losing $134 million to scams via social media; in the first six months of 2020, for example, the figure had already hit $117 million.

And trust me it won’t stop there.

There are a number of consumer organizations offering guidelines on how to avoid these types of scams. But in truth, do what I do – if you don’t recognize a phone number or an email – do not answer it.

Works every time.


1 comment:

  1. Bill,

    Thank you for this blog post. You hit the nail on the head. This is a horrible and growing problem and it can create crises. This coming Thursday I will be recorded for the "CalCPA Virtual 2021 Personal Financial Planning Conference," and my segment is titled, "Financial Elder Abuse: Society's Shame." These scams are most frequently targeted against the elderly because, they have the money, in a low interest environment they feel they need money, and in their latter years often their cognitive ability is declining and/or they are already suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia. It's indeed sad...and the scammers keep getting bolder and smarter...why? Because the scams work often enough to make it a profitable elicit enterprise.

    ReplyDelete