Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Height of Fashion

It’s happened to everyone sometime. And some more than others.

You’re cleaning out a desk drawer or a file cabinet and you uncover a snapshot of yourself in younger days - an unflattering portrait of a misspent youth, perhaps adorned with such antiquated sartorial accoutrements as leg warmers, designer jeans, or a huckapoo shirt accompanied by a puka shell necklace.

Not to mention the requisite big hair.

Along those lines, I found an old photo taken of me just prior to going on my first job interview straight out of college and promptly joined the cringe parade. I had forgotten they actually made polyester suits. And what’s worse, that I owned one. Fortunately, I’m a lot more clothes-conscious now thanks to a fashionable spouse, and the once big hair has been supplanted by no hair. Also, I’m the fortunate beneficiary of a metabolism that has kept my weight steady, as not to have to go to stout section or buy pants that resemble an oversized pillow case.

I harken back to this nostalgic albeit comical period, because I’ve noticed a number of young people - many of them recent college graduates - embarking on their new careers or perhaps still scheduling interviews and have taken note of how they present themselves.

I can safely say they’ve come a long way since my baby blue polyester threads.

Now it’s Brooks Brothers, Jos. A. Bank, or even Men’s Warehouse. And ditto for the women. Not to mention they’re all noticeably healthier looking and fitter due to the sheer influx of health clubs since I was a newbie to the corporate workforce.

Now, there are exceptions, like the young man down the street whose clothes have only a passing familiarity with an iron or a young woman I spotted waiting for a train at 7:30 a.m. who was more appropriately dressed for an evening in New York’s meatpacking district than the financial district.

CPA firms in particular have never been known for pushing the envelope when it comes to fashion, so for new recruits the mantra would be to err on the side of caution, whether newly employed there or interviewing for an available slot.

While managing partners and firm administrators have come a long way since the choices in office attire were conservative or conservative, I would not try to replicate the outfits of LMFAO or the Black Eyed Peas and hope to be taken seriously - or sent home to change.

And for those keeping score at home, despite the polyester suit I did get the job, although during my first week my manager did mention on three occasions that Macy’s was having a huge sale on men’s wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment