Friday, June 7, 2013

There’s Smart and then there’s Smartphones

My father is fond of telling anyone who will listen that his eldest son (yes, that would be me) graduated college in just three terms – Nixon’s, Ford’s and Carter’s. Or, that if translated into Latin, my diploma could be interpreted as Summa Cum Lousy.

Ba Dum Bum.

My underwhelming academic pedigree aside, I felt that after 12 years of covering the accounting profession including a sizeable portion from a technology standpoint, that I was reasonably well equipped and knowledgeable enough to surprise my long-suffering spouse with what I considered the perfect Mother’s Day gift – a new Smartphone. Her current one resembled one of the communicators from the original Star Trek series and somehow it regularly found more dead zones than a Stephen King novel.


After all, mobility and the ability to work remotely is one of the fastest-growing tech trends in the profession – as well as the rest of the global workforce ‑ as some 40 percent of CPAs now spend at least 5 or more hours outside the office each week – either telecommuting or on client visits. And roughly 70 percent use a smartphone or tablet for business. Personally I feel those figures are a bit modest, but I felt after 25 years of marriage to yours truly, a feat that has propelled her up for sainthood in five churches, my wife should be able to join that burgeoning workforce demographic.

So armed with a plan I marched into offices of one of the major wireless carriers and explained why, what and how I wanted to proceed and emphasized that I didn’t want my visit to resemble an infomercial with offers and extras that continue endlessly like trying to find the value of Pi.

Right away I was peppered with questions: Did I want 4G or push the envelope? How about 8, 16, 32 or 64 gigs? Hard cover or soft? Did I need a car charger? Was my current data plan unlimited? If not did I want to change it? Did I want an analysis of my monthly statement and see where I could save money?

After 10 minutes of this pitch the only things he didn’t offer me were a sham-wow or pocket fisherman.

I finally settled on a model that had received positive reviews, a data plan that was agreeable with my budget and enough juice to download anything she may need for work or recreation.

But I learned a valuable lesson.

Next time I’m eligible for a smartphone upgrade I’m bringing someone far smarter in these matters than I – my 17-year old daughter.

Oxy-Clean anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment