Friday, September 20, 2013

The “Apple” of My Eye?

As I’ve often explained in this space, I’m still about three area codes away from being conversant in tech-speak.

When I attended technology-centric sessions at various conferences, halfway through you could find me playing word jumble having long ago lost any understanding of the subject matter.

When my wife and I finally purchased a flat screen TV, I had to scour Angie’s List to locate someone who could program the DVR system.

When I encounter an IT problem, I adopt the Woody Allen approach to solving it. I plead nicely for several minutes for it to correct itself and if that doesn’t work, then I start to hit.

But like 80 percent of the folks in the public accounting profession I do own a smartphone – an iPhone to be exact having jumped off the Blackberry wagon two years ago. And in contrast to my past tech failures, thus far I have been able to perform the requisite functions and have even managed to download a number of applications – including my flashlight which has been invaluable during storm-induced power outages.


But earlier this week I again did my best impression of Woody Allen as I attempted to download the new iPhone software – iOS7, which according to various articles and news reports was supposed to make the screen bigger and sharper with new graphics, automatic updating for applications an AirDrop photo feature and FaceTime audio.

Alas, I, along with thousands of other update hopefuls were repeatedly bombarded with error messages with this succinct and frustrating statement – “Software Update Failed.”

Add to that, I later learned that the update gobbles up to 3.1 gigabytes of storage space. Hey, even I know that’s a lot.

Apparently, the new software is part of Apple’s plan to grab back some of the market share it’s lost to Samsung’s Galaxy4. And it comes just as the iPhone 5C and 5S are poised to make their market debut.

But my iPhone adventures clearly bring into focus the sometimes forgotten impact and importance that technology has in the M&A arena.

While the courtship of two firms often and correctly focuses on chemistry and culture, what’s often left out in the details is the laundry list of what’s necessary in terms of technology to bring the pair though a successful transition. It’s estimated that in a merger of say, larger multi-partner firms, it will cost a minimum of $10,000 for each full-time equivalent to get everyone on the same platform. And you don’t have to be a CPA to know that’s more than just an incidental cost.

The profession unfortunately is replete with examples of affiliations where the consolidated firm continues to wrestle with IT issues. So, while other M&A roadblocks may rank a bit higher on the scale, IT concerns should not be pushed to the back of the line.

I’m sure even Woody Allen would agree to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment