Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I Never Realized I Was so Popular!

My suspect technology pedigree has pretty much spanned the gamut  of ineptness - from muted snickering by many of my colleagues - to knee-slapping hilarity from members of my own family. And as many of you who check in with me twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays for all you newcomers) know, it’s been pretty well documented in this space.

Some might even argue that’s it’s been over-reported.


Whatever.


But that doesn’t mean that I’m not (if you’ll pardon the overhyped buzzword) “engaged” in the tech space. I’ve been on Facebook for nearly 5 years and LinkedIn just one year less. For those keeping score at home, I began using Google back in 1998. In full disclosure, I don’t “tweet” because those of you who know me realize that my ability to communicate anything in 140 characters or less is rather difficult, if not impossible. Besides, in our line of work, clients are quite grateful their names aren’t being broadcasted to hundreds or even thousands of followers all eager to re-tweet a pending M&A affiliation.

But just for today, let’s revisit LinkedIn.

Currently, some 225 million people now avail themselves of the service, or to put that figure in perspective, more than 70 percent of the population of the U.S. is “engaged.”

Far brighter minds than yours truly now consider LinkedIn the top choice of recruiters and human resources departments due to its searchable ease of and user-friendly interface. For the first few years I was an official member of the LinkedIn population, I would perhaps receive two “invitations” to connect a month. Even less frequent was a request to submit a recommendation. Perhaps some weighed the benefits of a testimonial from me and decided to take their chances elsewhere.

In any event, with the help of our marketing department I polished my resume and information on the site, added a recent photo and suddenly, the floodgates opened. Over the past several weeks, I have averaged 5 invitations a day, of which I accept perhaps half. Some, in all honesty, I don’t want to see or hear from going forward and others I’ve simply never heard of.

But it got me to thinking that CPA firms fortunate enough to harness the resources of a sizeable HR department, are unquestionably scouring LinkedIn in their continuous search to locate young talent that will carry them into the future. Which sort of underscores the importance of keeping your information current; particularly if you’re job hunting or looking take your talents elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I received three more invitations to connect this morning and one recommendation request – except that the would-be recommendee owes me money that somehow he’s never gotten around to paying.

In truth, my endorsement would probably not make much of an impression on a future employer.

No comments:

Post a Comment