Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Does a Merlot Go Well with a 1040?

Being Italian there isn’t much about wine that I don’t enjoy.

I was basically raised on it, and even in my advanced age, remember quite clearly my first indoctrination to the pleasures of the grape at the impressionable age of 10. I was seated at my great-grandfather Nicola’s house in upstate New York dressed in my Sunday finest.


Great Grandpa “Nick” as we called him immigrated to America from just outside of Rome in 1919, and like most of that era, made his own wine which he stored in oaken casks in the garage. I also recall getting a corporal lecture from my father afterwards, as my formerly gleaming white shirt displayed ample evidence of too much wine and streaks of errant tomato sauce from Great Grandma DiBiasi’s chicken Parmesan. 


Since then, I’ve imbibed all types of varietals and blends, at all price points. And if it’s possible to be a wine gourmand, then that would probably make an accurate addition to my resume.

It’s about this time, that most of you in tax prep hell are at the end of another day of too many 1040s and not enough time, and are tempted to pour a glass or two (or three) – or perhaps something with a bit more kick.

And throughout my 14-year association with the accounting profession I’ve met more than a few CPAs who cherish wine as much as yours truly, including many who have amassed impressive cellars of their own. I once met a firm partner who over the years had stockpiled an impressive supply of over 1,500 bottles. For those keeping score at home, I have a modest rack in the living room and a small wine refrigerator in the kitchen.

I regale you with this lifelong love affair after stumbling across an article that ranked the highest per capita wine consumption by state. I thought for sure, California, with some 4,200 wineries would be at or near the top of the list.

Actually California didn’t show up until No. 8.

No, the No. 1 in wine consumption was actually the District of Columbia with an annual average of 34 bottles per person. Surprisingly in second place was New Hampshire, with nearly 20 bottles, followed by Vermont, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Nevada and Connecticut.

I imagine wine consumption (and alcohol overall) among tax preparers in the above-mentioned locales rises noticeably between January and April 15, and most certainly thereafter.

Tax season notwithstanding, at Chez Carlino we’ll continue to enjoy wine on those special and unique occasions – like immediately following the evening news.

No comments:

Post a Comment