Friday, July 25, 2014

Wicked Good

Prior to tax season I was informed by the folks who sign my paychecks that part of my territorial responsibilities would now include New England- which essentially means Providence and of course, the greater Boston area.

No slight to the fine folks and hard-working CPAs in states such as Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, but truth be told, we don’t get much call for added penetration those markets on a regular basis.

Since my 8th grade field trip to Boston, I’ve always returned with a takeaway, whether it meant reading up about one of this country’s most historical venues, or in the case of this week, lessons in the local culture.


For instance at dinner one night I sampled a “Rhode Island Stuffie” (breaded Quahogs) accompanied by a big can of “Gansett” – (a 16-ounce Narragansett beer). Admittedly, I could get used to both quite easily.

Culinary education aside, my itinerary included several stops along the famed 128 corridor and coincidentally, all my appointment cities one day began with a “W” – Woburn, Wakefield and Waltham.

I was immediately educated by the locals who informed me that Woburn was actually pronounced “Woo-burn.”

I was told, “Bill, we like to add an extra ‘o’ in there.”

And Waltham demanded an emphasis on the second syllable “Tham.” So Wal-Tham it was.

Then, armed with my smart phone’s navigation application, I rented a “cah” from one of the national providers and began my cultural indoctrination to the Bay State and its accounting population.

Normally I get lost driving to the grocery store, but I did, as those residing in the commonwealth often say, “wicked good.”

I managed five stops – all on time and despite a cranky air conditioning system that emitted occasional puffs of cold air on 90-plus degree heat, I kept my composure and those who know me, rumpled hair was not an issue.

I promised everyone that I would be back in two weeks or so.

As much as I enjoyed it, I’ll still maintain New York has the edge in pizza. And being a Rangers fan, I will never root for the Bruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment