Friday, December 5, 2014

Toothaches and 1040s

In addition to gaining several unwanted pounds, getting trampled by bargain hunters during Black Friday and coming across the expensive discovery that one of the pipes under the kitchen sink has suddenly sprung a slow leak, my Thanksgiving holiday was capped off (pun intended) by a nagging toothache that turned out to be a slight crack in one of my rear molars.

It was time to see Dr. Jeff, my New York City-based dentist since 1997.

Dr. Jeff is one of those rare finds in any walk of life, a caring professional who quickly diagnoses a problem but doesn’t perform any unnecessary work and, for lack of a better description, is spectacular at what he does.

 I should mention at this point that it’s been nearly three years since I’ve made the daily commute into Manhattan from my northern suburban residence, but despite the massive travel inconvenience, I continue to see Dr. Jeff often taking a train to the city as early as 6:30 am to do so.

I’m sure many of you out there who are comfortable with your dental or medical professional feel much as I do. Why go through the hassle and red tape to change when you have someone you trust with your teeth or overall health?


I found him much the same way that many find their accountants – via referral. My supervisor at the time needed a root canal and immediately began singing the praises of her dentist and how painless he made what is often a painful experience. Having gone through a series of dentists whom I’m sure received their training in prison, I immediately jotted down his number and with hands clasped in prayer hoped he’d be taking on new patients.


Now in a show of hands, how many of you have your accountant because of referrals or even a legacy?

Often in my presentations, I compare the clients of accountants to dental patients and at first often receive a puzzled look, like contestants stumped on the Final Jeopardy question. It’s only when I begin to drill down (again, pun intended) that they get it and see the undeniable correlation between choosing a dentist and choosing an accountant.

It’s no different with my CPA. Rocco has prepared my taxes since 1994 and like Dr. Jeff; I found him through a referral and in 20 years have found no reason to change. Both have raised their fees only minimally over the years and continue to provide me the services I need.

Rocco has, however, contemplated moving out west. I told him with the number of cloud applications available today he will still be able to prepare my 1040s.

However should Dr. Jeff decide to move to say Montana, I don’t think there’s yet an app for a cross-country root canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment