Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Where are those surveys when you really want them?

Over the past week, between flying, rental cars, purchasing technology components and then remaining on hold for 30 minutes with tech support and even shopping for a new pair of jeans, I’ve been asked to complete no less than five customer surveys.

Depending on my mood of the moment, I would estimate my completion percentage at about 50 percent. Obviously, when I receive superior customer service or conversely, when my experience rivals the voyage of the Titanic, I would push that percentage somewhat higher.

Last week my travel experience to a large Midwestern city rivaled the latter. 

In a perfect world, I was scheduled to arrive at my destination at 3:30 pm local time. But the weather and the airline carrier had other ideas. My outbound flight was delayed three hours and to be fair, New York resembled a car wash as the rain was cascading down horizontally.

Since my flight was direct but not non-stop, I was to remain on the plane until the connecting passengers boarded and we would continue on to my eventual destination. I arrived at my first stop two hours behind schedule only to receive a text from our company administrator that my continuing flight was now terminated and there was a five-hour layover until the next one.

Apparently that was news to the representatives at the airline who performed their best impression of Inspector Clouseau – including the pilot of the plane who had no idea why the next leg was discontinued.

When our company administrator knows more about my flight itinerary than the folks who oversee it, or the people in the cockpit, that doesn’t exactly pump me full of confidence.

Long story short I arrived shortly before 11 pm, a mere 7.5 hours late and managed to pilot the rental car to my hotel – without delays I may add – where I lasted until I unpacked my bag before my succumbing to my first uninterrupted sleep in nearly a year. (Note: lengthy flight delays and aggravation work wonders for insomnia!)

I waited for the requisite customer survey, and waited, and waited. I finally called the airlines and they passed along a toll-free number where I could voice my complaint.

In truth I am far better with written complaints than vocal ones.

The rep was understanding, but my dreams of free travel or a least a minor make-good were dashed when I was informed that all my travails were attributable to weather and not mechanical failure. This despite it having been 75 degrees and sunny during my five-hour layover.

When I sarcastically asked why no one got the memo on the cancelled flight my question was met with stony silence.

On a positive note, I now have added another unnamed airline (okay here’s a hint: it’s a direction on a compass) that I will not fly even at a huge inconvenience to myself.

And one less customer survey that I won’t have to fill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment