Friday, September 18, 2015

The Graveyard of Change Resisters

This week I came across an article written by someone I’ve long respected and in fact, used to write for me on a semi-regular basis during my tenure as editor in chief at Accounting Today.

The piece focused on why some accounting firms, particularly smaller ones who, understandably, are comfortable with their current processes and workflow even though it may be outdated, and are resistant to adopting new technologies. And in addition, she writes, they’re often too busy and are happy with the way things are.

Now before I climb on any type of soapbox let me preface this by revealing that I do not own a Kindle, preferring paper books to any type of E-book and have two newspapers delivered daily. From 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. speaking or interacting with me is strictly prohibited while I’m enjoying my oversized cup of coffee and poring over the editorial and sports pages.

Yet I will always remember what one prescient IT staffer told me in the early-1990s, before nouns like Google, Netscape and Explorer became embedded in the mainstream lexicon.

“Those that do not run to technology will no doubt be the ones left behind.”

I’m sure we’ve all witnessed what happens to companies and once-heralded brands when they don’t adapt to change or encroaching competition – and to be fair not always did their demise involve a failure to implement the latest technologies.

Those who grew up in the Northeast and New England no doubt have at one time or another enjoyed a burger and a Fribble at a Friendly’s Restaurant. Apparently unconcerned over more vibrant concepts moving in on their market share such as Chipotle Qdoba or Five Guys with 21st century ordering systems and interactive menu boards instead of incredibly bad and slow service, Friendly’s began shuttering units at an alarming rate. In fact, all their units within a 20-mile radius of where I live can now be seen sporting large “Building for Lease” signs.

For New Yorkers like me, for years the go-to venue for sporting goods was a company called Herman’s. Despite high prices and poor service, it was too arrogant to respond to penetration from Sports Authority which boasted a far more helpful staff and online ordering and soon Herman’s was soaping the windows and padlocking their doors.

And the list goes on. I’m sure you can all cite your examples here….

I doubt it’s all that different for CPA firms.

Gerald Ford is no longer President so there’s no reason your back office processes should mimic something from circa 1974. Expense is no longer an excuse for technology procrastination as cloud adoption has pared down the cost of applications exponentially.

I once visited an accounting firm in New York’s financial district where the managing partner didn’t even have a computer on his desk and the stacks of paper littered throughout the office on occasion measured four feet high. It’s amazing that it didn’t warrant a citation from the fire marshal. That’s usually what happens when you continue to live and work in era when The Brady Bunch was on prime time.

Look I don’t want to dictate how folks run their firms. But I’ve seen too much historical evidence to sway my thinking when leaving things status quo.

Those CPA firms that are glacial in change will no doubt create client and real estate opportunities down the road for those that aren’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment