Friday, December 18, 2015

Ending 2015 Not With a Bang but a Survey

I recently completed my last trip of the year and had the rare privilege of flying two separate airlines to and back from Las Vegas and experiencing neither schedule nor mechanical problems with either carrier.

Naturally, upon my return, my email inbox contained customer survey requests from both as well as one from my hotel. As a rule, my average is 50-50 with regard to completing them – whether they’re for airlines or other service related businesses such as lodging and restaurants. But in this instance I decided to burn the 15 minutes or so required to complete all three and do my civic duty. I gave all three mostly high marks and even singled out an outstanding front desk employee who went out of his way to ensure I didn’t have to wait for a room.

But back to the airlines.

As I mentioned above, I was able to navigate the outbound and inbound trips without any difficulty, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t have a complaint or two.

And those gripes pertain to luggage and clothing.

Here’s what I mean. On short trips I go out of my way to conform to the dimensions required for carry-on luggage. So how is it some idiot manages to get a garment bag or oversized suitcase past the gate check agent and command nearly 40 percent of the allotted overhead space?

If this were a one-time incident I suppose I could excuse it – but for some reason it’s been a given on every flight I’ve taken this year regardless of the carrier. If I play nice with others why can’t others as well? Once I found someone’s hulking garment bag resting comfortably on my new Ted Baker sport jacket and warned its owner that if it happened again he would be chasing his luggage through the emergency exit.

After that incident, I no longer wonder why I never qualify for the TSA pre-check status.

How about this? You’re flying from a colder climate – say New York or Boston – to a warm climate like Florida or California.

Why then on the outbound leg do some people wear winter coats large enough to shelter a grizzly and again consume needless amounts of overhead space? Will you be wearing that for a night out in South Beach or on the Las Vegas strip?

Okay, enough complaining for this year, but I promise my twice-weekly rants will resume promptly on January 5, 2016.

Here’s wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season and prosperous New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment