Friday, January 8, 2016

The Technology Gender Gap

Should you ever want to accurately gauge the chronological chasm between Millennials and most of those in the Baby Boomer generation and prior, you probably need only to have a discussion on technology.

Now in full disclosure, no one has ever accused me of being a tech nerd – in fact compared to my daughters, I’m probably a level or two above using an abacus or, giving me the benefit of the doubt – an adding machine. But I’m fairly competent in most of the basic functions and having covered the profession for the past 15 years or so, at least am cognizant of many of the current trends in technology.

But case in point.

A now retired CPA and fellow member of my health club approached me the other day and asked my opinion on which two do-it-yourself tax software programs he should purchase. Jerry (not his real name) had worked in private industry for a Fortune 50 company in addition to operating a small tax practice on the side before selling it several years ago. He still does some 1040 preparation for family and close friends and was weighing the benefits of each tax offering.

Obviously, as a former editor I had to remain impartial with regard to evaluating products, but I knew enough about both to point out the advantages as well as the shortcomings. I explained  to him that there are hundreds of  tax-related blogs out there and many of them consisted primarily of reviews of accounting-related software programs.

This apparently came as news to him as did the fact that most of the tax software vendors now offer cloud-based solutions which I suggested might be more practical for him since his 1040 business was a fraction of what it had been in the past.

By providence, another gym colleague, a former software developer for Siemens, happened to have his iPad handy and allowed Jerry and I to sit down and explore various product reviews online.

“I wish they had these years ago,” he mused, a sort of blanket proclamation for all things technology I would guess – the TV remote arguably in my book at least chief among them.

For those keeping score at home, Jerry made his selection (yes, cloud based) and unlike many bracing for filing season he is anxious to get going.

I figured I should wait a few weeks before I explain to Jerry the virtues of buying an Amazon fire stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment