Friday, February 26, 2016

You’d Think They’d Learn

Despite repeated warnings in the press and other media outlets, the phone scams threatening legal action to settle outstanding IRS debts continue to press onward.

The other day, I received one of these aforementioned robo-calls from someone obviously not sited on this continent warning me that if I didn’t respond to this final call to settle a $7,000 IRS debt, I could face prosecution and even jail time.

It should be noted that this was the third such call I’d gotten on such a matter since November. And apparently I wasn’t alone as several of my neighbors and a number of colleagues at the local gym had fielded similar phone threats.

Nine other months of the year I would normally delete the message and get on with my day job. But since this is the onset of filing season and our calls to small firms are treated with much the same disdain as a door to door salesman selling vacuum cleaners, I decided to have a little fun with some down time.

At their expense of course.

So I called the toll-free number and followed instructions by asking for Supervisor #24.

So the ensuing and very brief conversation went something like this:

Me: “Yes, I’m calling about a voice mail I received regarding my outstanding debt to the IRS.”

S24: “Yes, our records show that it was from tax year 2013. We can take a check or credit card and the matter will be closed.”

Me: “Great that makes it so easy. By the way how’s the weather in Mumbai?”

Silence.

Me: “Um, did you hear me, what’s it like today in Mumbai?”

Again silence.

Me: “By the way, I thought the IRS always sends a letter and doesn’t call.”

Still silence

Me: Hey, I’ll have to remember to ask my FBI colleagues when the IRS changed their procedure. After all we both work for the government so there are no secrets between us. (Okay so I lied a little).

Silence continues.

Me: For a supervisor attempting to collect $7,000 you really don’t say very much do you?”

Click.

Now if only those pesky vacuum cleaner salesmen or Jehovah Witnesses were that easy to get rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment