Friday, April 29, 2016

Customer Service and the Internet of Things Part II

On more than one occasion I’ve been blindsided by technology – or more accurately, advances in technology.

Case in point: I attempted the relatively simple process of printing a document from my home computer. After hearing the familiar whirr of the unit beginning to engage there was one problem – the finished product was a blank sheet of paper.

Now I have a sound method of dealing with tech malfunctions.

First I Google any troubleshooting blogs. If that doesn’t work, I speak softly to it. My third option and usually the one by default, is I begin to hit.

An exception report showed that I was low on ink – for once a relatively simple fix. A quick trip to Staples and some $70 later, I was armed with a “full metal jacket” so to speak of fresh ink.


Again I found myself staring at a blank page.


So, following a string of four letter words that would make a Marine drill sergeant blush, I called the manufacturer’s tech support hot line, which to my surprise was available on a late Sunday afternoon.

After several diagnostic checks performed remotely, he determined my printer heads were shot and that I could either replace them, or, for a mere $30 more, receive a new printer, which he not only offered to ship free but give me a 6-month supply of free ink.

And when the current supply of ink ran out, he explained the unit will communicate with the manufacturer signaling that the ink levels are low and days later a new shipment arrives.

I don’t have to work as a systems analyst for Apple or Microsoft to recognize a no-brainer in terms of a cost-efficient bargain.

To me that was a sound example of good customer service not to mention another eye-opening experience with regard to the Internet of Things, where inanimate objects can communicate via the web.

So I await the arrival of my latest purchase, although admittedly connecting it may take a while.

In the interim, a package came UPS the other day from the manufacturer of my refrigerator. When I opened it, it contained a new filter ready for installation and a note saying something to the effect of “Your unit said its filter was worn out. Please find a new one enclosed.”

Truthfully, I was both grateful and frightened at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment