Tuesday, May 2, 2017

There Ought to Be a Law!

My stunning lack of expertise in technology has been well documented, so when I need assistance in that area, I almost always defer to far brighter minds than my own.

And more often than not, I get the help I need, no matter if it’s software or hardware related – and sometimes both.

Unfortunately this was one of those “than not” occasions.

I thought my problem was fairly simple to diagnose – I needed a larger screen for my PC. For nearly two years, I have labored under a 13-inch display which to be honest, has not worked wonders for my neck and back. On occasions, my morning rise from bed has sounded like a bone-cracking contest at a county fair.

I’m sure my acupuncturist and chiropractor have been more than happy with my current monitor setup as I regularly receive gift cards from both with alarming regularity.

So my first foray this weekend went right to the source – a branded retail outlet in a local mall. No problem I was told, as at least two “associates” came to my assistance. My dreams of a 15-minute in and out experience were dashed when the sales team suddenly morphed into a U.N. emergency resolution on nuclear testing. Not one of them could agree on the best solution, quoting prices ranging from $150 to almost $400 which included anywhere from one to three accessories.

They were so engrossed in their discussion, that they actually didn’t see me pack up and leave.

From there it was on to one of those big box electronic retailers which boast a terrific technical team that will actually make house calls. Once again I went through my spiel and was assured it would pose little or no problem.

Somehow I harkened back to an auto mechanic telling me exactly that when my transmission began making sounds like a haunted house. Four figures later I was able to drive again.

Again, my situation evolved into a 21st century version of a Hatfield-McCoy’s dinner party as I received a number of disparate solutions to my request.

This one almost turned into a Pier 6 brawl, when I decided that perhaps my situation could continue for a while longer with the small screen if I just double up on my doses of Mineral Ice.

Undaunted, next weekend I will try again but perhaps it would be time well spent if I did some research first. Either that or alert the HR department of the next venue that I’ll be arriving shortly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment