Friday, March 2, 2018

Dr. Jeff and the search for a new accountant


In full disclosure, I have enjoyed a “bromance” with my dentist – Dr. Jeff – since I first wandered into his midtown Manhattan practice back in 1995, with two cracked fillings and a new experience in oral pain.  He’s simply one of the best practitioners – medical, dental or legal – I have ever met. He takes the time to ask about family – even remembering their names – and never, ever performs any work without it being absolutely necessary.

I made the commute from my suburban home to New York City for 25 years to my office and despite working from home since early 2012; I still make the trek in to see Dr. Jeff.

Even though he’s approaching his late 60s he assured me, he will not retire anytime soon. That elicits a collective sigh of relief.

Ditto for my accountant Rocco.

He’s been preparing my 1040s since 1991 and is basically a tax code geek – aware of even the minutest changes that most CPAs would have to research. He, much like Dr. Jeff, assured me he will never retire.

So when a fellow member of my health club began complaining about his dentist and asked me for a recommendation, I realized that despite their differing professions, dentists are much like accountants in that their client base is predicated largely on referrals. Think about how many of you are patients and clients of either and how you got there. I’ll wager over 90 percent of you came to both through a referral by a friend or colleague.

Despite both radio and TV commercials ad nauseum to the contrary – I doubt even a small percentage of you chose a dental professional via 1-800-DENTIST, or through the Yellow Pages.  It’s nearly impossible to ascertain someone’s competency or bedside/dental chair manner by an ad.

But back to my colleague at the gym.

I told him about Dr. Jeff but he insisted that it be someone closer to home. I suggested he ask around and gather several potential candidates that way. He later revealed that his was also dissatisfied with his accountant for reasons he declined to elaborate on. Again I advised him to go the referral route and look for someone he felt comfortable with but also had garnered a good reputation.

I haven’t seen him in several weeks so I unfortunately cannot provide an update.

But it’s a safe bet that he asked around on both and hopes that he carefully weighed any and all options. I learned long ago never to take easy route when it comes to teeth and taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment