Monday, June 25, 2012

What Company is This Again?

Some years ago, I applied for a position with a swimming pool construction firm in Arizona. During the interview, I was asked what I considered a series of random and unrelated questions, such as in what city was the United Nations located (unlike the vapid Snooki of “Jersey Shore” fame, I was able to answer that one correctly) and did I consider myself particularly naïve in matters pertaining to human nature.

Somewhat perplexed, curiosity overtook decorum and I asked point blank what this bizarre line of questioning had to do with securing “dig” sites for pools. The interviewer then thanked me for coming in and left it with a “we’ll let you know.” 

Needless to say, I never heard from them again, nor was I sure I even wanted to.

Now most accounting graduates have secured or are in the process of securing positions with accounting firms (at least those who choose public accounting over private industry). I always felt that perhaps one part of any accounting curriculum should at least include “soft skills” which in addition to stressing compatibility and workplace techniques, should cover the basic do’s and don’ts of job interviews.

Not coincidentally, it’s always about this time of year that newspapers, magazines, and other assorted publishing and online formats devote sizeable chunks of content on to how to interview correctly and often cite incredulous true-life examples of interview transgressions.

Recently I read an article where one job candidate asked the interviewer, “What company is this again?” while another consistently referred to himself in the third person. There was another vignette in which a candidate for an upper-level management position told the interviewer that the job probably wasn’t worth the effort of starting the car for. My guess is that conversation lasted perhaps 10 seconds longer.

As an interviewer, my experience sort of pales in comparison to the above-mentioned scenarios, but about seven years ago in a pre-screening call, I had one potential associate ask whether we would pay for his commuting expenses to Manhattan since he lived in the suburbs of New Jersey. Trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice, I told him that yes, one of the company perks was that we retain a car service to pick up all the New Jersey employees no matter where they lived and drive them back at night. Ditto for Connecticut and Long Island.

But I digress.

I’m sure that at one point or another the anxiety and pressure of a job interview has triumphed and we’ve all flubbed the answers to questions that had us scratching our collective heads afterwards. Remember, the potential CPA firm employer — like any other — is trying to vet the best candidates and while a collegiate GPA at or near the 4 level is impressive, they’ll likely lob more questions outside the box than the standard boilerplate of “why do you want to work here?”

So go in with confidence, be prepared (at least know what firm you’re interviewing with) and I would advise against referring to yourself in the third person. Also, plan on taking public transportation — at least for the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment