Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How ‘m I Doin’? Maybe You Should Find Out

With my minimal mechanical and technology skills being well documented, it’s hardly a stretch to imagine that I’ve dialed a 1-800 help line for products and services more than a few times. In fact, several of those have logged such frequent conversations with yours truly they have the pleasure of being listed on my permanent contact list.

But the flip side to those incessant inquiries for help is that it’s traditionally followed with an online or phone survey from customer service all asking the basic question of “how did we do?”

And most of the time, I’m happy to participate as those of you who know me also know I’m not all that shy about rendering an opinion – good or bad.


But what invariably happens is that one survey leads to another and another and another as your name and contact information is passed around various customer lists like a holiday fruitcake.


Case in point: Last week I received an extensive online survey regarding my recent purchase (lease actually) of a car. And when I say extensive, I mean in the neighborhood of 200 questions. Believe it or not, I somehow found the grit and time to complete it.

And not one week later, I began receiving calls to participate in various automotive focus groups with the allure of it being a paid appearance. Unfortunately, one venue was in Southern New Jersey, which mean the cost of the gas and tolls alone would effectively render any stipend I would receive moot.

But I began to wonder just how many CPA firms employ a similar feedback program for their clients? Obviously it would have to be somewhat more sophisticated than the traditional 1-5 rating system and of course offer room for write-in opinions and/or criticisms.

A number of years ago, I read where the more services that a firm offers its clients, the less likely they are to leave. It would stand to reason, that a client receiving a number of consulting engagements as opposed to simply having their tax returns prepared would likely remain tethered to that firm.

I also know that at any one time, fully one-third of a firm’s current clients are mulling a change in firms for any number of reasons – a lack of personal contact chief among them. Then conventional wisdom would dictate that at least once, or perhaps twice a year, you should ping your clients and to borrow a phrase from Ed Koch, the colorful former mayor of New York City and ask “How ’m I doin’?

I’m confident they’ll be more than happy to tell you. Because if something’s amiss, it’s better to find out now, than to get that letter or call later thanking you for your services.

No comments:

Post a Comment