Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Game of Drones

As someone who is old enough to remember what 33 LP or stereophonic sound meant with regard to music, you can imagine in that time, I’ve seen more than a few advances in media and technology.

My daughters can’t believe there was a time you actually had to get up off the couch to change the channel on the TV, or for that matter, when regular programming ended with the playing of the Star Spangled Banner.

As the owners of iPads they look with only a vague understanding as I explain to them that I used to write and edit content on something called an IBM Selectric, which when it debuted was greeted with far more muted fanfare than say, the iPhone.


The phrase “you sound like a broken record,” means absolutely nothing to them.

So it would be fair to say there’s a fairly large generation gap in that regard.

Nevertheless I consider myself to be fairly open minded with regard to progress, as no one has ever accused me of being a Luddite.

But there are some things I’m just not ready for.

To wit: A more-than somewhat creepy experience this weekend with one of the most talked about tech trends in recent times – drones.

Now again harkening back to my misspent youth, I did have a gas powered model airplane that lasted exactly two outings before nose diving into a chain link fence and incinerating into a fireball.

But that was then and this was now.

I had just taken advantage of the scores of late August sales and was loading the car when I heard a buzzing noise overhead like an oversized mosquito and witnessed a two-propeller drone land not 30 feet from my parking space.

As you can imagine, it was just a bit startling – particularly when I looked around didn’t see anyone I could identify as the operator. But he was indeed there, (actually three of them) hiding behind a light pole stanchion about 50 yards away and amusingly gauging the responses of shoppers as this twin-bladed terror repeatedly landed in their immediate vicinity.

I didn’t know whether to be mad and charge at them in full road rage mode (well, technically parking lot rage) or ask to see them do it again up close and personal.

I chose the latter and learned that this $350 contraption can be purchased at a number of outlets. As many of your may have read or heard, drones are being evaluated or, in some cases deployed, by companies such as Amazon for deliveries.

As someone who keeps an open mind, it’s completely closed when it comes to receiving a best seller or apparel dropped off at my doorstep by a drone.

I think I’d rather get up to change the channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment