Friday, October 24, 2014

No Thanks!

The inimitable Groucho Marx used to swear that he'd never join a club that would have him for a member.



Neither would I.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you that I'm not a joiner - in anything.

During my formative years, my father made me enlist in the Boy Scouts under the paternal assurance that it would "build character." After participating in more miserable overnight hikes than I want to remember, I threatened to hire an attorney to examine the legality of forced sleeping with other foul-mouthed adolescents in a lean-to as the temperatures hovered around the 20-degree mark.

I was later "encouraged" to join the school band, an exercise whose singular fringe benefit consisted of being strong-armed to play in the annual Memorial Day parade while my classmates basked in wonderful late spring weather.

The only reason I played football was that I foolishly thought it would jumpstart my social life. The truth was not only did I remain dateless, but 98 percent of my body was black and blue as well. I foolishly overlooked the part where it said in order to date the captain of the cheerleaders, you actually had to be a good player.

I just never saw any benefit to joining a group, organization or even a softball team, despite all the oft-trumpeted clichés thrown around such as "leveraged resources" and "networking."

During the 1980s for example, I refused to buy any item of the "Members Only" clothing line.

But I digress.

But if nothing else over the past 14 years, I have learned the accounting profession is replete with people who are joiners.

The segment is sprinkled with professional associations connected to some part of the CPA experience, such as marketing or education. There are also domestic and global alliances and, of course, the 400,000-member organization, the American Institute of CPAs.

Now people have their own reasons for joining -- or not joining -- the AICPA, or any other similar group.

And it seems each week there’s news from various groups announcing their newest members or strategic initiatives.

But don't follow my example.

If you think your firm can benefit from joining, or that belonging to an association will help introduce best practices in your shop, facilitate economies of scale, leverage resources or any other boilerplate phrases thereof, then knock yourself out.

Just don’t drag me along.

That reminds me; now that the holidays are fast approaching I’ll have to renew my discount club membership.

Hey, I'm not stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment