Friday, July 29, 2016

Of Accountants, Dentists and Auto Mechanics

At my rapidly advancing age, I’m always comforted when I receive a clean bill of health from Dr. Jeff, my dentist. I may have long ago lost my hair, but I take pride in the fact I still have my original 28 (sans wisdom teeth) intact.

So at the end of my semi-annual check-up and cleaning earlier this week, we reminisced at how long we’ve enjoyed our doctor-patient relationship. For those keeping score at home, my first visit to him was in 1995 and four grandchildren (for him) and another daughter for me (now 21) since then, we’re still keeping the faith.

Now that’s even more surprising when you consider that Dr. Jeff practices in New York City and I have to take the train in to see him, despite the convenience of roughly 50 dental practitioners within a five-mile radius of my suburban home. But when you find someone you like and perhaps more importantly, trust, you keep the ship sailing in the same direction.

He’s never recommended any unnecessary work and many times told me that if I ever had a problem on a weekend, he’d gladly come in the office for an emergency. Thankfully, I never had to call in that favor.

I’m sure it’s a similar story with regard to choosing and staying with, an accountant. As a matter of fact, I’ve had Rocco, my accountant, two years longer than Dr. Jeff.

And I have little doubt that it’s that way for many of you for both dentists and accountants and you can toss in auto mechanics as well.

Shortly after my visit with Dr. Jeff, I visited a firm in New York where the founder (now 87) still comes into the office at least three times a week to meet with clients, many of whose parents he serviced as well so the generational ties were still strong to say the least. He obviously didn’t put in a lot of chargeable hours at this stage in his career if any, but the partners were adamant that his value to the firm was symbolic, if not monetary.

Whether the relationship with your “most trusted advisor” is financial, medical, or, as I mentioned above, mechanical, most people I would hope are smart to not attempt to fix what’s not broken.

I know after a combined 44 years with my dentist and accountant and now going on five with my mechanic, I know to leave well enough alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment