Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Not Exactly Open and Shut

Gardeners hands planting flowers in the garden, close up photo — Stock Photo

As New York begins the glacially phased process of reopening amid waning COVID-19 figures, I spent the last weekend more confused than ever about the process.

Case in point, several weeks ago, I waited 30 minutes in line to purchase exactly three items at my local Home Depot, which I gather was classified as an “essential business.” True, the hours were modified and facial masks a requirement, but it was nevertheless open.

But fast forward to this past weekend.

Due to the pandemic, coupled with an unusually rainy and cold May, the bride and I were several weeks behind the annual planting of our vegetable garden and walkway. So, on a beautiful Saturday, tailor made for gardening, we took our SUV, lined the back with old bedsheets and trekked down to one of the county’s larger nurseries.

As expected, it was a standing room only crowd – literally – as green thumbers from all over were hauling wagons and carts full of flowers, herbs, potting soil, and plant species seen only in Gardner’s World magazine. I spoke briefly to one of the employees who told me this was only the third day they were open, and it’s been a madhouse ever since.

So, let me understand this, an enclosed structure like Home Depot was considered essential, but a 10-acre open land expanse selling many of the same items with plenty of social distancing was not?

Someone will have to explain that one to me.

On Sunday, a later than usual discharge of tree pollen turned my car into a motorized lemon – color wise if not mechanically, (let alone what it did to my sinuses), so a thorough wash was in order. So, I drove to the local car wash, aptly named “Splash,” and waited for the attendant to come out and ask why type of service I wanted. No one came. The business was open, but it looked more like a haunted house in terms of people. Finally, someone came on the speaker system and told me I could only get an exterior wash. Apparently, no one under the reopening law could vacuum or polish the interior.

Okay, better than nothing. But on the drive home I passed a competitor car wash and simonizing venue, which had employees furiously cleaning the interiors of a snaking auto line.

Again, confusion reigned.

I can hardly wait to see what June brings.

Maybe by then, I’ll have figured things out. But at least our garden will be in full bloom.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is confusing. Aside from complex rules and confusion over interpretation, geography plays a big role also. I live and office right on the border between Los Angeles and Ventura Counties, in The Golden State. Each county has different rules, so I can get into my car and cross the county line into Ventura County and have a whole lot of opportunities to use up my credit line. In fact, one strip mall splits the county line and some stores can be open while others cannot. It seems kind of inane to me.

    ReplyDelete